A forum or conference is a place where people come together to discuss some topic. Typically there are several conferences, one for each major topic of discussion. And within each conference, there will be several minor, more focused topics of discussion, each one called a ‘discussion’ or ‘conversation’. A conversation will consist of messages, that may either be questions asked or replies to those questions, which, at the same, may represent new questions. Conferences may be structured with either:
– Flat lists, or
– Threaded trees of messages.
The basic features to consider when analysing conferencing systems for web-based instruction are:
– reading of conferences,
– reading of messages,
– navigation ,
– Presentation Features of Text-based Conferencing Systems on the WWW
– Fundamentals of Web Conferencing Systems Used for Distance Learning
– Threaded Forum Display
– A Better Discussion: Flat or Threaded Forum ?
– Discussions: Flat or Threaded?
– Building Communities with Software
– Web Forums: Asynchronous Conferencing for Online Teaching « Online Sapiens